Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How To: Adding an OEM Tachometer Cluster on a 2005-up
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #100
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison355 View Post
I work at a Ford dealer in VA and I bought a new one from them for $220 and filled out a sheet with the dude and they sent it off and I had it back in 3 days. When I installed it, it had my milage on it. I only paid $65 for the reprograming, and there was no DMV involed. Like I said, I'm in VA and don't know if it's the same everywhere.
There's a big difference between programming and reprogramming. You paid $65 for a dealer to program a new speedo cluster for the first time to match an existing speedo that was being replaced during repair. This is totally legal and much different than reprogramming a USED speedo which is seen by the federal government as a fraudulent act (odometer roolback/manipulation). The federal goverenment is trying hard to stop fraud and unfortunately this makes it tough to recycle perfectly good speedos. Most foreign cars don't allow speedo swapping anymore; a tamper dot will illuminate to warn used car buyers if you do it. Dealers have tools to program new speedos, not used ones.