Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Red Candy Photos
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #43
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
My 2012 Focus has red candy "metallic" but there is nothing metallic about it, no sparkly flakes in it. That is kind of a bummer. They also call it "tinted clearcoat." What the heck does that mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Are you suuuuure there are no flakes? They are small, but my BLUE candy metallic has billions of em...

Tinted clear coat means good luck getting a match if you need paint work.. Check out the blue candy thread, half of it is pics of different attempts to match the factory paint. Fortunately my dealer was across from the final assembly plant, and they had them walk a paint sample across the street. The tinted clear coat has a HUGE effect on the final look, based on the number coats out on. It seems 7 coats works best for matching the plastic bumpercovers to original factory tint. The tint works to deepen the look of the finish, by causing various shades of color to appear in different light/angles.
I have the original (pre-tsunami) U6 paint. As ST Falcon said, its not a super-obvious metallic (like the Tuxedo Blk with its large spaced out flakes). But, if you are looking at it with a flashlight or direct sunlight, you should be able to see the flakes. I have not been able to get any straight answer on how close to the original U6, this new RZ Red Candy is. I want to know in case I need body work. I also saw the article that the Japan ingredient was back. However, if that is true, why are all the new Red Candy units all carrying the new RZ paint code and not the original U6?? I have NO IDEA and would love to know the facts (not speculation).

Also St Falcon, thanks for the great description of the "tinted" process. I had no ideal it was the clear-coat that was tinted. Cool. (And, aw crap if I ever get hit.)