2012sel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84814
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL 5 door

FF Reputation: 10 2012sel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
I had the Red candy on my 2011 Fiesta. It really did sparkle in the sunlight.

Now the 2011 red candy had special metallic flakes that were glass coated that was produced by only one company in the world. A German owned company that was located in Japan. (why it costs extra for the special colors) When all the disasters occured in japan, I had heard that the supply of the metal flakes was either seriously reduced or cut off completely and that Ford was going to re-formulate the Red candy paint. ????
U6 was the original paint code using the pigment from Japan. Now it seems that RZ is the newly formulated Red Candy and getting touch-up paint has been a problem for other members with the new RZ paint. I found this article stating that production of the original pigment was back. Here's a picture from April '11 when I had my car for about a week. A Red Candy Fiesta parked next to me.

According to this article the pigment used in U6 was back in production May '11.
================================================== =========

Car Pigment Back on the Road in Japan

Monday, May 16, 2011

Glittering new cars will return to the world’s roads, as Merck has resumed production of the critical pigment additive Xirallic, which is made only at the company’s facility in Japan.

Normal operations at the Xirallic production site in Onahama resumed May 8, the company announced last week. The company also said it would expand production of the additive to a facility in Germany, to avert future supply interruptions.

Japan’s catastrophic tsunami of March 11 severely damaged the plant, 28 miles from the stricken Fuushima-Daiichi nuclear power station, and forced the evacuation of employees and area residents. The plant was shut down indefinitely for repairs, interrupting automotive manufacturing worldwide.

Car Makers Impacted

Xirallic is an enhanced aluminum oxide added to pigments and sold to paint companies worldwide. The metallic additive gives a glittering shine to red, black and other paint colors and is made exclusively in the Onahama plant.

The cut-off in Xirallic supplies and other shortages affected manufacturing at Toyota Motors, Chrysler LLC, GM, Ford Motor and other car makers. All told, automakers were expected to lose production of about 600,000 vehicles globally.

Ford cut off orders for vehicles in Tuxedo Black and three variations of red. Chrysler Group LLC restricted orders on vehicles in 10 colors, including two variations of black and three of red.
2000 F150 Sport 2000-2011 | 1988 Ranger XLT 4wd 1988 - 2000 | 1966 Mustang 1983 - 2008 | 1963 Ford Econoline Van 1979 - 1983