Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #570
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If fuel economy benefits was the primary reason Ford chose to use this transmission (according to the bulletin Black Bengal posted yesterday), how does the Corolla with a conventional 4-speed auto trounce the Focus in combined fuel economy????? Consumer Reports reported 32mpg in their overall testing vs the Focus' 28mpg. And the Elantra with its conventional 6-speed did slightly better with 29mpg? Popular Mech showed the Elantra trounced the Focus in a 70-mph highway test.

(Even though the Corolla is rated 2mpg less by EPA, the user average on fueleconomy.gov is greater than the Focus', reinforcing Consumer Reports' results.)

Where's the 10-15% efficiency increase with this new technology and all of its low-speed idiosyncracies, that is single-handedly driving many folks away from the Focus and Ford in general???

Yes, those competitors have slightly less horsepower and acceleration but so what? Does that really matter in a compact car that most folks will purchase for fuel economy?

Yes the Focus' strengths are steering and handling, which I greatly appreciate and am willing to live with the transmission for those reasons, but the general public doesn't seem to really care about handling. They want efficiency and reliability, two Focus weaknesses.

In my brief experience with the car there is only one benefit to this transmission - very smooth high-speed shifting and power delivery. I'm having a hard time justifying that benefit given the low-speed drawbacks we have to put up with.

I am glad I'm getting 32mpg on my commute, but would I be getting the same if they just carried over the '11 Focus' powertrain? And having a normal automatic transmission experience?

Just askin' the questions......