Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Transmission Reset... WHILE DRIVING!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Whoa that's scary. Mine has been acting up while hot with about 500 miles on it but nothing like that.

Why do these transmissions have to "adapt" to our driving habits anyway, driving like crap while they learn? Why can't they just be programmed from the factory for the average driver? What if two people who drive completely differently drive the car in equal amounts? Will it ever learn and finally fall into a pattern in that case??????
It is a misconception that it learns our driving habits. What the computer is doing is learning the particular Characteristics of that transmission. Every transmission is slightly different, clutch wear, throwout bearings, gears, etc. and it needs to learn how to engage and disengage as soothly as possible and as efficiently as possible. It's just like a manual driver learning how a particular manual transmission works. At first you will be poor at using it but as you do you learn the transmissions quirks and get smoother at shifting. That is what the computer does. It's learning the transmission, not the driver.

It will handle different drivers without problems. I drive mine differently depending on the conditions and whether I feel sporty or not and have no issues with it. It can be odd at times but it is still a manual and all manuals do odd things at times, this DCT just has a computer doing the clutch work for you. Our reaction times and the computers reaction times can be at odds at times causing the hunting or reving. I've done that in manuals too, and shuddered the trans, rolled backwards, ground gears, etc. That will happen in the DCT too, but hopefully less often. Even Great manual drives have hick-ups, that's part of the fun of driving. It's amazing the computer can even get it right with all the variables we throw at it.