Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Installing Cruise Control on 08-11
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
md2009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93649
What I Drive: 09 S Sedan - Black

FF Reputation: 2 md2009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
UPDATE

I went to the Ford dealer for my scheduled appointment...

And they wouldn't do it. Or, more accurately, claimed that they COULDN'T do it. I spoke to the technician and he told me that the IDS would not allow him to reprogram the PCM. Said it came up with an error message.

The service department cited SSM 22177: installing oem cruise control system components on a non-cruise control equipped vehicle is not recommended or supported on any Ford vehicles.

They checked the as-built, and since it didn't come from the factory with cruise.. They said there was nothing they could do. I asked the technician if he tried, and he specifically said multiple times that they system would not allow him to program it. Not that he didn't have an option or a choice, but that the actual system prevented the reprogramming.

Of course they had no problem charging me for this info. Half an hour of labor for them to say they couldn't do anything I asked. Impressive customer service.

So, I'm not sure if Ford has updated their IDS system to prevent us from doing this, or if my dealer is just being difficult about it.. But as of right now, I have fully lighted, but non-functioning, cruise control buttons on my steering wheel.

Very disappointed. Would love to hear from anyone that has done this recently, especially anyone that is familiar with the IDS system and can let me know what I need to have the dealer do to fix this. The nearest Ford dealer besides the one I visited today is over 100 miles away!!