Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Strange front end high/low wobble/humming sound
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
jimmyt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90069
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus titanium

FF Reputation: 1 jimmyt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
Just got the car back from the dealership. After they had it for 8 hours, they finally test drove it to hear the hum for themselves.

Service Clerk: "Yes, the technicians did hear a slight noise. They determined it wasn't a safety issue, and that it isn't a big enough problem to service".

I'm beyond pissed, but I completely kept my cool....

Me: "Am I understanding you correctly? I spent about $20,000 on this car less than two months ago, and now you're telling me to drive off and deal with it, wait for the problem to get worse?
Clerk: "No, I'm not. I'm just saying there's a certain procedure that we here have to follow."
Me: "Send me off with a car that you just admitted has a problem, but you won't do anything about it."

I told him how I've been researching this all day and that this may be a problem with the wheel bearings, and then he brings up all the TSB's for my car and says, "Hmm... I don't see anything here about a hum or bearings."

I was through dealing with him, so I said I'm not leaving the lot like this, I'm not happy at all with how this is being handled. I got the service manager, and he was much more professional about it. Turns out, he got only about 2 minutes in the car and wasn't listening for the particular sound I had described. He apologized for wasting my entire day (and unspokenly acknowledging that they had mistakenly tried to blow me off). We rode in my car together, and took turns driving. We both heard the hum, and tried to identify the source. We both agreed it wasn't 100% obvious if it was coming from the front or back, but that it sounded like the driver's side was involved.

He's going to drive a car on the lot tomorrow with the same exact options as mine to try and compare the two (get a baseline from which to work off of). We scheduled a new appointment on Wednesday, and I'll drop the car off again that day.

Again, I'll let you know how that goes . Hope you're issue was actually fixed as reported by the service department!
So what if any other cars on the lot make the noise. It does not make it a non-problem. My Titanium makes the noise too. FORD knows they have a problem as indicated by the Oasis bulletin. I do not have the TSB number but read the following summary of my problem. Feel free to copy this and take it in to the dealer.

We have a hypnotic wobble/humming sound, like running over interrupted road warning groves or the side of interstate roads, but not as pronounced. We hear it between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. It does not vary with road surfaces. It is not the tires. Ford cannot find the cause but keeps saying they are working on it. This noise has been reported and documented by the dealer to Ford in Early August. As of today, Ford still has not responded with a solution, however OASIS SSM 21985 says to monitor OASIS for further updates. I told my dealer about the TSB along with my FORD CS Rep I had been working with. The next day the dealer service manager called and said to bring it in to have the recommended fix, which is to replace the two front bearings with the “NEW PART NUMBER BEARINGS.” If they don’t have a problem, why the new part number for the bearings?