Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #54
lutztb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94952
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 lutztb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Same Issue

I found this forum from doing an internet search on the failure message I got this evening from my 2012 Focus. Two weeks old, 1300 miles (I commute a lot), and I already have a service message?????

I traded in a 2 year old Hyundai because I got tired of getting these things.

I had started the car two minutes earlier, backed out my driveway, and gotten 50 yards up the street at about 15mph when the light came on and my power steering disappeared. It was 27* outside, and dry. I pulled over, restarted the car, message went away. I went to the system check function and everything read clear. I've restarted the car 3 times since without any issues.

The safety of the vehicle is one of the primary reasons I bought this car because I do drive over 120 miles a day and I have a 11 month old who is in it frequently. Being born and raised in MI, my wife was excited about getting a Ford after having Hondas and Hyundais, but this is not helping increase my confidence in the quality of the car.

I plan on calling the dealer first thing Monday and taking it in. The manual says you need not do anything unless it comes back on after reset, but there in absolutely no reason for a car that still has it's "new car smell" to be giving me an error message.

BTW, great forum, hopefully this will get worked out and I can share some positive things here.