FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymings View Post
I am having the exact same problem. I got my 2012 Focus a week ago and it's been in the dealer for a majority of the time. When I accelerate from a dead stop it makes that weird rattle noise. I have had to take it in twice since the dealer claims they can't hear it or isolate the noise. I'm getting very frustrated since this is a brand new car and it's already having problems, and no one at the dealer thinks there is anything wrong with it.
Hi mattymings,

Congratulations on the new Focus. Allow me to assist so that this can be the great experience you desire it to be.

Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager in your area assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision.....
All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.
Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?
Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.
Hi Tarzanalog,

Good! I'm glad to learn you're reading up the PowerShift. When you have a moment check out Media.Ford.com, you'll find loads of information about Ford's transmission lineup.

The PowerShift operates as two parallel manual transmissions with a dual clutch design managing the shifts between two gearsets. This design allows the performance and fuel efficiency similar to a manual transmission and the shift quality and ease of operation provided by an automatic transmission.

Your first question would need to be answered by the dealer, as they are provided a complete solution to vehicle concerns.

The second question suggests a pre-established answer regardless of the customers concern. I would hope this is not so in the dealership level. As for my fellow partners and I, we conduct extensive research and pull from many different resources to make sure our customers are never given a "stock response." If I or any other rep on this forum has given such an impression, please bring it to my attention.

Keep me posted on the results; I'm truly interested in knowing the outcome.

Take care and talk to you soon!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford