Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I've read about every article I could find related to DCT, DSG, DCG, etc. transmissions and despite being without my Focus for a week now (I’m supposed to get it back later today) I still think that I made the right decision. All of the twin clutch designs have their issues. Around 75K+ vehicles have been recalled since the 2008 model year due to the issues with the VW DSG and while it seems they've been able to work out most of the bugs in recent years, there are still issues.

The fact of the matter is that I wasn't looking to spend more on oil changes and an extra $400 every 30K mi. just to have the VW 6-speed wet clutch system serviced and (although my finances would have certainly permitted it) I didn’t want to fork over another $6K for the smaller GTI or similar. While a GTI would have had a little more low-end torque I don’t think that my Focus is necessarily any less fun to drive and based on the mpg I’m getting so far, I’ll most certainly have to stop at a gas pump less often with my Ford. What I would like to see perhaps is a little better warranty coverage on the Ford’s DCT if it is indeed prone to trashing throwout bearings.

All problematic noises aside... you have to think of the Ford Powershift as a manual transmission that you don't have to shift. The car will therefore handle like a manual and sound like one for the most part. I'll know more after I get my car back, but I'm hopeful that as long as I stay on top of this particular issue I'll be happy with my purchase in the long run. My advice is to hang tough and make sure your service guys look for the faulty throwout bearing.

Q1: for Ford... Given that this is a high-labor-cost to low-part-cost issue is there any way to use a more durable replacement part than the stock throwout bearings to save those owners that have had to wait to have it replaced once... will not have to have it done again?

Q2: Is there a directive from Ford (as I've read) to the dealerships to give a stock response for those complaining of transmission noise along the lines of "It's normal, let the transmission break in."? Perhaps this directive should be adjusted to "unless there is a grinding noise indicative of a failing throwout bearing"? New Focus owners (and service techs) are more savvy than that... if it's an issue, let's identify it and fix it together.

Last edited by Tarzanalog; 02-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.