Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #47
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86057
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just did the 2nd oil change. Rotate tires and went through the entire under carriage with a keen eye. All looks good. Averaging about 3,000 miles per month. Car is doing what I bought it to do and doing it well.

Concerns: The key with these things is keeping them as far from dealerships as possible. I've found a dealer that I am willing to work with but man do you have to keep a close eye on them. Their mindset is doing things as quickly as possible and getting the next car in. Doing something "right" doesn't ever register on their meter. They are nice folks who have been sucked into a poor service mindset.

Comments: I doubt the pre-chargin hurts anything but modern motors are started for the first time EVER with a coating of manufacturing lube. The moment the motor is started, actually within about 5 seconds, for the first time the entire oil tract is coated in oil. During my career doing testing and development of high performance motorcycles I had the chance to be involved with the development of a new motor (Helicon) with Rotax in Austria. During testing the motor was run (we tried different oils), then the oil was drained, the motor was started without oil and run at redline for an hour to see what kind of wear we got. Bottom line is that the current crop (I use Amsoil, but they are all great) of lubricants, both synthetic and non-syunthetic, are absolutely amazing. Technology has really benefited lubricants.

It's nothing more than my PERSONAL OPINION but, absent something totally absurd (tossing in a handful or grit) you couldn't hurt a modern motor if you tried.

Milegae is great, handling is great, tires (with 15,000) look like they're due for replacement soon and the Focus is performing pretty much marvelously.