Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MK3 2012 Focus - Oil Change 101
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #42
nibyak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25443
What I Drive: 2012, RedCandy, 5-Door, SE

FF Reputation: 1 nibyak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I just did my first oil change (on any car) following this guide. It was very easy although I had a couple of issues. Ordered the oil filter from Advance and went to pick it up. They gave me a 910 and assured me it was the exact same thing as the 910S, the S was just part of their part number, even though I saw one at Walmart and it actually said it was a 910S on the box and filter. Left and bought from Walmart. Next I took the filter off before draining the pan. Either there is always a lot of oil that spills out when removing the filter or that should be after draining. Lastly, the picture of the oil draining doesn't do justice to how far out it sprays at first, glad I had a mat down to catch it otherwise my driveway would have been a mess. Oh, also, I had to take the little brush guard thing off to get the cover off. Not sure how to do it otherwise.
As has been previously answered here, the S stands for Silicon ADBV. The silicon version is supposed to work better in the cold than the old rubber ones. Since the filter is located where it is, it doesnít really require any ADBV because the oil wonít drain back up into the engine. Iím still driving an 08 but may purchase a new Focus this summer. I currently have just over 140,000 miles my 08 and have changed the oil over 25 times on this one. I use the Motorcraft filter and the Motorcraft semi synthetic oil and have never had any problems. I use the same on my other 3 liter Ford which is now around 160,000 miles. Iíll probably be close to 180,000 miles when I get rid of my 08 Focus. The one thing that I do when I change the oil is poke a hole in the filter to keep down the mess when I unscrew it.