Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #477
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

Points 542, Level 10
Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10 Points: 542, Level: 10
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
After a few days, I have definitely noticed that third gear is held much longer than it used to be - now the shift doesn't occur until north of 3000 rpm. First and second are held a little higher in the rpms than they were before as well. When coming to a stop, the revs hover between 1000 and 1250 and then drop to around 700 when at idle. Single and double downshifts with the foot to the floor are more responsive and less lazy than they were before. One other thing I noticed is that in reverse the car will now creep along and it didn't do that before.

Overall, the TSB is a definite improvement.

As for getting it in the first place, that was a bit of a battle. I arranged for the appointment on Friday describing the issues I saw (jerky acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, rpm flare when slowing to a stop, uneven idle, reluctance to downshift). When I got to the dealer and presented the TSB I knew about and had printed (11-10-2), I was told by one of the service goofs that he or I could not tell the tech what to do or which TSB to apply, the tech would have to experience the issue with a test drive. I had the NY Times and Motor Trend articles handy that talked about the TSB and the issues that the Powershift transmission was having for cars built before August but still "the tech has to experience the problem". I guess the tech experienced the problem - the TSB 12-01-04 took about 90 minutes to apply, 25 minutes for the driving procedure to be completed and then another 15 minutes for someone to come and get me after the car was parked outside the service door.

In my opinion, everyone who has a car with the Powershift transmission built before August should get the TSB applied. I no longer am afraid to turn left when there are oncoming vehicles approaching. That alone is worth the 2+ hours and hassle.
Fantastic! I deal with a specific tech. He took my word for it and did not drive the car until after the TSB was applied.