Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Any Successful AWD Swaps Out There?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #41
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87814
What I Drive: FrankenFocus AWD In Progress

FF Reputation: 1 Kickerbeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No offense taken. I have 2 reasons for wanting to use the DSM setup. I know that the gear ratios will work with the 8.8 and I know you can make cheap power.

As far as any swap out there, you will have about the same amount of work (in general). You will have to swap or build harnesses, possibly upgrade the fuel, custom exhaust, build motor mounts, figure up axles, etc. With the AWD you have a little more since your dealing with the rear end, but in our case someone has already done the hard work you can just buy the kits. Just need to postion the engine in the right spot and have a driveshaft built.

I would say that anything that will work with the 8.8 gear ratios would be a good option for a swap here in either RWD or AWD.

After the AWD thought, I don't like the idea of using a V6 because of the weight difference. You have to think about how much extra weight you are adding to the front of the car and how that will effect the overall performance. Especially if it is RWD. Another nice thing about being able to make good power on a turbo 4 cylinder is that the weight will be much better balanced in the car. Speaking of weight, the Focus is very close in weight to the DSM so that can give you a really good idea of it potential (provided the body will hold up to an AWD launch).

Another benefit of keeping the 4 cylinder is it will be much easier to be a "sleeper" which is something I want. I would love to have someone in a Mustang or Camaro pull up next to me at a light and think they are all that.

I love talking about this with people. It is something that I'm going to try my hardest to complete as long as life doesn't get in the way. I am always up for discussion on swaps as it is truely something I would like to go into business doing in the long run.

ZX3 going AWD http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310574