View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #70
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If it involves anything major (ABFORDGUY mentioned several different main harnesses available) I highly doubt people will pay thousands of dollars to install a factory backup camera after the fact. Some of these harnesses can run into the thousands, plus the other modules and equipment required, plus the install time, and the programming headaches involved since you'd have to "steal" another VIN and use the programming from that one to try and reprogram yours.

I saw a tech at my dealer (who is a genius at electrical) spend 14 hours on an F150 to integrate a factory backup camera. He was running extra wiring, programming various modules and in the end he was left with a backup camera that only worked intermittently. He spent 14 hours on it, and got paid for 3. I think they ended up pulling the whole thing out and went with the little 100 dollar aftermarket deal. After seeing that, I will never attempt anything similar. While it would be cool to solve the puzzle, I like receiving a paycheque too.

The reason why some of you are getting very little support with it, I really think dealers aren't willing to take a gamble, using your wallet, to see if it can be done. Ford probably isn't getting into it for liability reasons. Someone will find a way to sue them for it. Anytime I have to ask an engineer about technical matters and it involves any kind of modification they don't even go near it. If the vehicle has modifications already, they advise me to "return it to stock before proceeding" LOL. Its all liability.