Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Which car manufacturer do you hate most?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #36
Montag
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81977
What I Drive: 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme

Points 537, Level 10
Points: 537, Level: 10 Points: 537, Level: 10 Points: 537, Level: 10
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 Montag Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I reckon most automotive enthusiasts have strong opinions regarding certain models, brands, classes, or countries of origin. Very few people hold strong positive opinions about anything without a corresponding negative opinion about something else. It's human nature. So don't try to rise above it. That's not what this discussion is about. Embrace your automotive dark side.

First and foremost, I hate Chrysler. They started making crap in the late 70's/early 80's, just like Ford and Chevy, but they never really improved. They did improve their styling and marketing in a stupid yet effective way. Giant grilles, angry headlights, big-rig fenders... I'm sure I would have loved their mid 90-present styling when I was ten years old. They even started making some pretty powerful vehicles. But regardless of engine size, almost every modern Chrysler has been a cheaply built piece of junk. The only generally reliable vehicles they have made in the last twenty years have been PT Cruisers and minivans. Yet another reason I hate them.

Honda- never owned one. It amuses me that former fanboys hate modern Hondas. Maybe there's a good reason, I don't know.

Chevrolet- I have a love/hate relationship with GM. My two best cars have been Oldsmobiles. In my opinion, GM has made very good vehicles since the early 90's. But they often fail in their execution. Those good vehicles often have a fatal flaw, like defective intake gaskets or piston slap or transfer cases that lose all their oil. You've got to do your homework if you're going to buy a GM, so you can avoid or fix its problems. If you do it right, you'll get a good car for cheap.

Hyndai/Kia- I drove a few when I was in Korea, and they were reliable but obviously very cheap. Modern ones might be OK, but I think I'll wait another ten years to be sure they have caught up.

Mazda- Might be OK, but gawd they're ugly.

Toyota- I drive two diesel Hiluxes regularly, and I used to drive a Hiace van. They're reliable and durable. I don't care if they're boring.

Ford- I'm glad to see they have emerged from their dark ages. They really made some garbage between about 1995 and 2005. A modern Ford just might be a decent vehicle.