Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Hidden Menu DTC's, What do they mean?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hmm, so they don't have the full DTC being displayed to you. (A full listed DTC is 5 characters....and DTCs shown in these newer vehicles are often 5 characters followed by 2 more as a descriptor).

I found a P0850:62, Desription: Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit: Signal Compare Failure
Trigger Conditions: A continuous and on-demand DTC that sets if the IPC detects a discrepancy between the hardwired park detect input and the messaged transmission mode display actual input.

Honestly, this one seems it could set if there was a slight hickup in communications. If its not something that returns, I wouldn't even worry about it. Its quite common to see a handful of useless codes in memory when scanning a vehicle. To base diagnosis on some of these codes would be like walking in a field trying to find fly poop.

Can't find a C140 code....but did find a U0140:00. Maybe what looked like a "C" was a "0"?? In any case, if it was in fact U0140, its another communications code. The BCM may have been busy for 5 seconds and couldn't report to another module. These kinds of codes can set during a state of high traffic networking between modules. Since a lot of the modules in your car are multiplexed networks, several bits of info are sent along the same pair of wires between modules. Lets say you have "Module A" reporting to "Module B". it could be busy sending info even though another module C could be requesting info from it. If Module C doesn't get its info in time, it can set a communications fault. There may me nothing wrong with the network, or the modules, or the vehicle at all....in some conditions where networking gets busy, you could have a module "get pissy" and set a useless code in memory.

If you aren't noticing an actual fault with the vehicle, then I wouldn't worry about it.