Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Help me make a How To on Making Your Own Wiring Harness For Cruise Control (smart people with wiring diagrams apply within)
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24351
FF Reputation: 5 jay-rod05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
Well for the 2000 to 2004, it is not so simple
For cars that came w/o cruise then later added on that wire harness[s] are different from a car that came with cruise control from the factory. So if one had a non cruise control car [e.g. 2004] and found a junker 2004 that came with cruise from the factory, it is not so simple to switch wire harness easily. [Time solves anything I guess]
The kits were only for 2000 to 2004
I don't know if 2005 was different [I suspect so]

Then your ECU needs to be programmed to enable cruise control.

You will be lucky indeed to find a Ford technician that knows this
I really don't think that is the case though. And the only differences that I saw when I was at the junk yard was the connectors are different per model year. The only thing that would really change is getting the correct clock spring to fit your car, or you cut off the clock spring connector that matches the one you took from a junk car and then splice in your 4 air bag/horn wires.

The ECU didn't come into play at all with the dealer add on kit and it. In fact the dealer add on kit just splices into one wire (PIN 28) which all that's only a vehicle speed sensor wire. Everything else this:

Pins and their functions from Speed Control Servo:
Pin 1: Signal out to gauge cluster to turn light on when cruise control is activated

Pin 2: Blank

Pin 3: Signal into servo to let it know how fast the vehicle is going (taps into wire from PIN 28 coming from PCM/ECU)

Pin 4: Are the brakes being applied? (Normally no voltage)

Pin 5: Signal from Cruise Control Switches

Pin 6: Signal from Cruise Control Switches

Pin 7: Power for Cruise Control SERVO unit

Pin 8: Blank

Pin 9: How fast/hard are the brakes being applied? (Normally no voltage)

Pin 10: Ground
That's all there is to it really. So the PCM/ECU doesn't have to be programed at all. The only difference you would have to take into account is do I have a Zetec or SPI and what kind of clock spring connector do I have?