Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Thank you for your detailed response. Does that mean (maybe I am misunderstanding) that the dealers themselves are performing the TSBs without looking at the customer's transmissions to verify that there is a problem? Also, why did Ford quietly update the transmissions on the post 8/12 cars, then? It does not make sense to have two different programmings for the same model year car, with the same engine tuning, and the same make and model of transmission.

Again, I will see what Ford Engineering has to say on this issue.
No, I check for TSBs/SSMs before the road test just to give myself some more info to work with as the service advisors usually don't get enough info from the customer for me to work with other than some vague info on how the transmission is operating. I then do the road test prior to doing any updates just to see what I am working with and if the concern I am experiencing goes along with the vague description I was given and if it matches any TSBs I happened to notice before hand.

In a perfect world we'd have super educated advisors who will sit with the customer and get every detail about the concern but in reality I am often left with info such as "transmission shifts crappy at 40km/hr" or "car makes a whoopty poopty noise sometimes....not sure when or how but check it out".........or my favorite one of all time "car smells like stinky feet" which was a toss-up for me between the nasty air freshener she had in her car or the PTU seal that was leaking oil onto the exhaust. I replaced the PTU seal and the customer got mad that it wasn't fixed as it turns out her complaint was with the nasty air freshener she installed herself

I personally would rather talk with the customer directly than go through an advisor, and often find myself calling the customer directly to talk to them about it.