Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #73
turntablez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83139
What I Drive: 2003 Blue Focus SPI

FF Reputation: 1 turntablez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo5 View Post
Bought a Focus to drive to work as a beater money saving car. Turns out I blew the engine after driving it for a month. Now the money saver is costing me money!
I haven't pulled the head yet, but sounds like I might have dropped a valve seat. Has 139K miles. I have never rebuilt a car engine before but have done a few motorcycles and 4 wheelers. I am looking foward to getting into this one.
My questions are:
- If the walls of the cylinders are still good would I do a head swap (ebay $230), and piston and ring kit?
- How would I know if I bent a rod?
- Do I have to pull the engine to do this, even if I replace the rods?
- In most cases is the lower end ok?

This is going to be a project for me and my two boys. I've got the time and I have something else to drive. Just want to fix whats broke and hoping not to have to do the lower end. I still want to keep it a cheap car to drive to work.
Any comments, pictures, step by step instructions will be helpful.
Thanks Mojo
You would probaby have to pull off the oil pan to inspect the rod. The cylinder heads that are on ebay are good. Either will be ok there are 2 compainies that are on ebay that are aware of the issues with the heads that rebuild them corrected. cylinderheads.com is where i got mine. Once you pull the piston out to re ring it....you will inspect the walls of the block to make sure its ok. Make sure you fully clean out your intake. If a seat fell all the metal has grinded up and is in there. You have to get it all out...or else metal will get into the piston areas aggain and destroy your engine all over again. You can replace the head of the engine without removing the engine. Just make sure you disconnect the battery. There is no real way of saying that the lower end is ok most of the time....it is or it isn't. Regarless you gotta pull the head off the engine to see whats going on and go from there.