Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How To Make Your Own Wiring Harness For Fog Lights
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #63
jay-rod05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24351
FF Reputation: 5 jay-rod05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvviftSVT View Post
so could i just repin my headlight switch with the power to the fogs?
my oem wiring is shot.
so just pull out the existing wire and run this one into it. and get rid of the relay all together, since the fog lights will only turn on on the "pull" of the switch?

edit:::

also, which wire is the ground in the headlight switch?
Correct me someone if I'm wrong but pin #3 in the fog lamp switch can't be used to power the lights, you need a power source direct from the battery?

Basically what happens is when you pull out on the light switch to activate the fog lamps:
The switch sends voltage to the relay (86) and says "Hey Mr. Relay, the driver requests to have the fog lights turned on"

The relay then says "You got it Mr. Switch" and then the relay says to the power from the battery "Can you go send 12 volts to the fog lights?"

The power says "You got it Mr. Relay, just flip your internal relay switch and we'll go where ever you send us!"

The relay then proceeds to switch itself to allow 12 volts to go to the fog lights.

Then the fog lights say "Thanks Mr. Power, Mr. Relay, and Mr. Switch. Couldn't have done it without you!"

Then they live happily ever after
Below is a modified picture of the ford dealer add on kit, i just took out the extra relay that makes the fogs cut off when high beams are on. This is basically the same thing as what the OP is doing just in an easier to read format.

To note, this is NOT the DOT approved way: