Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #80
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I think its a great car. Its a REAL car, unlike the Leaf, which is terrrrrible (handling, looks, and money leaves the country etc...) BUT, but...

BEVs remind me of 8 tracks...kind of a stopgap between gasoline and hydrogen...

And I could never drive one, as its a 150 miles to visit the parents, and road trips are OUT. You need two vehicles to do what any one gasoline car can...

plus, there is no such thing as a zero emmissions car. Its like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Emissions from the car, or emissions from the power plant...take your pick I guess. Plus, I know there must be tons of extra emmisions from building the battery, which requires them to be shipped around the world to several manufacturers for completion...

There continues to be no free lunch.
You are right that there is no such thing as a zero emission vehicle, but study after study has shown that the total pollution that is generated to build electrics AND their batteries is paid back very rapidly compared to traditional vehicles... this is similar to the arguments that big oil has pushed for years that solar panels "create more pollution in their manufacture than the save during their use" which has been 100% proven false, but people still like to spout it as if it's a fact (a modern generation solar panel will "pay back" it's full manufacturing "pollution load" in just 3-4 years of operation, everything after that is a net pollution savings).

Remember that with a traditional vehicle you are not only generating pollutants, but there is an entire inefficient distribution system which also generates pollution just to get fuel to hundreds of thousands of filling stations all around the country, not to mention fuel spills, tank leaks, etc.

It is also much easier to control the pollution of a few thousand power plants than to control the emissions of tens of millions of individual cars.

Final point, the entire idea that the electric grid will be overloaded by a a few million electric cars is utter rubbish. Overwhelming percentage of charging will take place in the evening, during "non peak" grid usage, when the grid is completely under-utilized... even if EVs become wildly successful they are a decade or longer away from making up even 20% of the vehicle fleet, which is more than enough time to further beef up the electrical grid.

If anything, smart charging technology in which an EV owner might "feed back" some of their battery power to the grid during the day, at peak times, because they don't need all of it, could reduce or eliminate the need for extremely expensive peak load power stations that only fire up a few times a year during peak hours.

The thing that I find most distressing about discussion of EVs is just how much misinformation there is about them.