st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redav View Post
If you are waiting for hydrogen, it will be a while. We are still ~50 yr away from a hydrogen economy, and frankly, batteries are superior in many ways to hydrogen. So, I don't expect the future to have a single fuel for cars; there will always be a niche for pure electric.
50 years is unlikely dont you think? I mean, Honda already has the Clarity. Jay Leno (not an expert, i know) put it best, the car saved the horse, (they were used up and then killed in the street where they collapsed), and hydrogen will save the car, as we know it. (the range, performace, operation in undeveloped areas with no chargers) I think the automakers have MUCH more incentive to develop hydrogen for these reasons. Even if we were 50 years away from a total hydrogen economy, a system to support hydrogen cars is not that far off IMO. I doubt we will be able to support a majority electric-car system either. Our power grids are already about maxed, and who wants to be at the mercy of a radiation storm from a sunspot knocking out their vehicle's operation. And if you want to talk solar charging, forget it. I would rather have a local hydrogen facility instead of a 30000$ solar array just for my car, as a back up if my fuel source was affected...even IF solar could increase its efficiency by 100%, its still not affordable (props to Ford for shelling out 800000$ on the solar power at the focus plant tho!! even if does cover two football feilds, and produce only 3% of their electricity needs...)

The best part is, that companies are persuing alternatives to oil, and we will definitely get something useful like the electric Focus. Also, I am glad Ford waited on launching these electrics, as everything from the last 10-15 years (including the Leaf!) is not as capable.

Now, to figure out a new tax system for our highway infrastructure!

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!