Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #96
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Angry PITA Devil-Serpent

Well ... we'll find out, hopefully soon!

That serpentine belt -- what a royal pain to install! My new one might even be a hair longer than the original, but even with the tensioner bottomed-out the belt still wouldn't go on.

After nearly an hour of trying different things, took a break. Always a good thing when stuck on something. And had an idea (after searching here and not finding a solution easily) while in the deep-thought room:

Put a deepwell socket on the hub-nut of the power steering pump, looped the new belt correctly (figure in the FSM), and then used the deepwell to hold the belt for installation (last) over the power steering pulley.

Loosened the bottom (of three) screw for the power steering pump, and removed the top two. This allowed the pump to rotate ever-so-slightly forward.

Then used a 3/8 ratchet on the tensioner, but from the left side (down near the water pump). And after getting the tensioner moving a bit, then slipped on the ratchet's handle a tight-fit socket and three inch extension to give more leverage.

Then, still with significant effort, slipped the belt over the PS pulley, and made sure it was centered in all the pulleys' grooves. The loosened the belt again via the tensioner to carefully reinstall the water pump's bolts. Done! And a good time for a lunch break.

Plastic parts now going back on the engine, but I still need to crawl underneath to tighten the intake's vibration bracket, the cat-to-flex exhaust pipe flange bolts, and to secure the rear O2 sensor's pigtail.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)