Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Highway lane drifting
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #179
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD787 View Post
Trying to keep the car centered in the lane, there is quite a bit of resistance in the steering wheel. Then because the car is approaching the side of the lane, you are forced to increase the pressure on the steering wheel. Then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and then all of a sudden the car jerks in that direction.
Ours was built 12/1/2011. I'd say "there is a slight resistance" and "then you can feel the steering wheel go through a very light bump and apply power to steering in that direction."

My guess is that this is a characteristic of how the EPS applies power about the neutral center of the rack. The more I let it bother me the more I notice it. My wife seems very sensitive to it. But she has mostly driven just one vehicle for many years (a 2004 Acura TL with very well tuned and modulated hydraulic power steering) and I drive lots of different ones and (want to?) just view this as a characteristic.

Neither of us have driven more than 40 highway miles at one time.