Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #58
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR84 View Post
Just because you've mentioned it 3 times doesn't mean you're correct.

Focus Owner's Guide Two Thousand & Twelve, Page 354, Para 4. (Canada)

"Your vehicle is designed to use "Regular" unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87. Some stations offer fuels posted as "Regular" with octane ratings below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuels will provide improved performance."

Now I'm not an English major but the last sentence doesn't have a dependent clause linking it to the previous sentences, nor does it have any conjoining words. This paragraph is providing us with 4 key pieces of information 1) You vehicle is designed to run on 87. 2) Some stations offer fuels with an octane rating below 87. 3) Running fuel with octane ratings below 87 is not recommended. 4) Running premium will improve performance. 1 and 4 are a bit conflicting but I think I covered my theory on that is my previous post. (Provided below)

Listen, I'm not saying your wrong, because I have no actual proof and the last sentence is a bit ambiguous however, from my interpretation of the manual it states that "Premium fuel will improve performance". It doesn't say ", therefor running premium fuel in areas where (R+M)/2 87 is not available will improve performance. I said right in my post "One day I'll figure it out" because at this time all I have is my interpretation of the manual.

My original post for your convenience.

EDIT
The last sentence is related to the others because it is part of the same paragraph, that is english grammar. If that sentence was not related it would be part of another paragraph.