Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #85
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool Pluggin' along

Thanks!

Not a full day today, but did get the water pump, accessory bracket, starter, timing belt tensioner, alternator, power steering pump, sensors, and lower radiator tube/hoses installed, and the intake manifold and catalytic converter in place but not tightened yet. Installed the lower part of the wiring harness to all the sensors, and the hoses to the back of the intake manifold.

Prefilled and installed the oil filter. The oil dipstick tube, strangely, went in too easily, after having to be forcibly removed from underneath. Reinstalled with lots of Permatex #2 goo.

Once again, surprised that a part didn't have centering pins -- this time the water pump. Odd that the tolerances need to be that much in this day of CNC machining.

Keep your old gaskets! New gasket sets normally include extras, and this SPI SOHC set included, for example, different intake and water pump gaskets. Having the old ones to compare against, to make the right selection, was important. Also, this set did not include the cat-to-flex pipe gasket, so had to make a run to the store. I also had modify it to make the gasket center properly.

Tomorrow's afternoon weather looks great; the plan is to install the head and timing belt in the morning, then to renovate the split-injector sub-manifold assembly in the afternoon when I can vent the carb cleaner fumes outside. If things continue to go well, maybe a late Friday fire-up!

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)

Last edited by LugNut; 12-28-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: All thumbs