Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #325
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After a long trip to Ohio and back for xmas, it was time for the first (free @ dealer) oil change, and while I was there I asked them to road test the car for the tranny issue. My build date was 8/5/11 -- I just barely missed getting the new firmware at the factory -- and I've been having the usual complaints about throttle response.

The guy at the dealer had given me a hard time about bringing in the car just for the re-flash when I phoned in November, saying that it wouldn't be automatic that they'd do it and in any case they'd have to keep the car for a while. So I decided then to wait until it was time for the oil change.

I went in this morning, sat down with the service rep, and when I told him about the problem he told me at first that the car was behanving perfectly normally... that the hesitation etc was common for a CVT. I said "um, what? this car doesn't have a CVT. I'm sorry, what kind of car did you think this was?" then I mentioned that the reason I had bought the car was that I had driven 2 of them for a week apiece as rentals while on travel, and that the car I bought definitely did not behave the way the others did. I also mentioned that I'd heard about a TSB for the transmission.

Then the guy figured out that I wasn't necessarily a total idiot. So he threw the factory under the bus, saying 'well yeah they came out with that, not to fix the problem but to try to help a little. We've re-flashed about a dozen of these from the TSB and half of them it makes worse, the other half it either makes no difference or maybe helps a little bit.' I was getting a little miffed by this point, but kept my cool and my smile and said 'okay sure, just have your guys drive it and see what they think'.

One hour later, flash done, I'm on my way home. The car now runs like it should, and I am delighted.

Lesson: Be nice, but don't let them BS you. Then keep on being nice.