Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #82
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool Rolling along

Met my goal today of getting the short block assembled, and flywheel/clutch pack on.

The tubing that fits the rod studs is clear vinyl, 7/16 in. O.D., 5/16 in. I.D. You (too) only need two three inch lengths of it. Home Depot, etc., should sell it.

One minor bump today -- despite extreme care, did manage to put in piston #4 backwards at first. Doh!

All the rod journals/bearings clearances checked out. Had to file-off a slight ding on the outside end of the crankshaft later, but overall very happy with this remanufactured crank so far.

In putting the short block back together, it was disturbing that neither the rear seal, oil pump, nor oil pan had centering pegs -- a standard feature in most engines. And their bolt holes allowed each to float a bit. On the oil pump and rear seal, I had to check carefully to make sure their seals were centered on their respective journals before fully tightening the bolts.

To put the rear seal on, I had to take the engine off the stand and put it on the flat floor on a clean towel, upsidedown. Also worked well for getting the oil pump, windage tray, oil pickup, oil pan, flywheel, and clutch pac on. Centering tool worked well, but you (too) have to adjust the center due to gravity pulling the clutch disc down. A "flywheel turner" specialty tool was very helpful to use against the torque wrench when putting on the flywheel and clutch pack.

The pile of new parts is getting very small! Encouraging. I can't work on the FF tomorrow morning, but may in the afternoon make the first attempt at reinstalling the short block. It's always fun to get an engine and trans to line up.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)