Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #145
Focus 2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92360
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Focus 2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus Titanium Steering problem

I had the same steering problem described by other 2012 Focus owners on this site. The manufacture date of my Focus Titanium Hatchback was August 2, 2011. It has 17 inch wheels. The TSB (which is on the Ford computer system) dated 2011-09-08 addressed the steering issue on 2012 Focus cars built on or before August 1, 2011. I took the car to the dealer and after showing them the TSB they agreed to do the recommended repair "under warranty" not under the TSB. I did some checking and found that my car was manufactured with Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-CE (often referred to as the steering rack) which according to the TSB is for cars with 18 inch wheels. The TSB states that Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-DE is the proper one for a Focus without 18 inch wheels. I brought this decrepancy to the attention of the dealership's service advisor who verified with Ford Motor Co. that a Focus without 18 inch wheels takes Steering Gear BV6Z-3504-DE. The service advisor said that they would install the 3504-DE in my car as per the TSB. It took the technician 5 hours to replace the rack and do a wheel alignment. I took the car for a two hour drive on a divided highway running at about 110 Kilometers per hour (66 MPH). The steering worked perfectly. The car did not wander in the lane and the steering was free not stiff as before. The car is a pleasure to drive and the safety issue no longer exits. The wrong steering rack was installed at the factory. Your Ford dealer can go on the Ford in-house computer site (HVBOM) to determine which rack is installed in your car. I hope this helps others who have this same problem.