Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Paint quality problems?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #49
Fine Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88092
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Fine Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=gringo1450;3938256]The paint shop at Michigan asssembly was just reworked all new robots were put in. I'm sure if you got an early car they were still working on film builds.

I can check with some guys at the plant but the Basecoat is probably Water base but the clearcoat is solvent based.

Mine is going to be painted 1/9/12 and I was going to the plant to watch it be painted but I will be on the road.

I can find out who the paint supplier is PPG... Dupont...
They all do durability testing its probably more the paint than the application

It serious chemistry nowadays
It could be as deep as the E-coat where the problem is

Good luck[/QUOTE

Sounds like you have some inside information on this. Do you know when the paint dept was updated? My car was finished 8/8....I believe about a week after the summer shutdown. What is the E-coat?

After reading other posts, it looks like others have more serious paint issues than me. My complaint is that the "orange peel" effect seems more pronounced than one would expect. Paint application seems even but under certain lighting the orange peel effect is very strong. Was planning to make a formal complaint when I take the car in for the first scheduled service.

Thanks for any additional info you might be able to share.