Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #75
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thumbs up Productive Piston Pause

Started off as a great day! Sunny vs. ugly yesterday. And quickly got the shifter cables readjusted so that reverse works smoothly.

Reverse lock-out, despite the owner's manual instructions, is to move out of fifth, then left-right in neutral, then you can shift into reverse, at least in this car.

I used the Workshop Manual/factory service manual procedure for adjusting the cables since I had the console out. It requires inserting a small drill bit in the side of the shifter, so it needs to be uncovered. Step 6.2 was the problem: "Move the selector lever to its center position." That selector lever is the transmission's lower input lever (not the counterweighted one), and I had to remove its cable's end (easy; with the new style you push in the end's cap and gently pry the end off with a screwdriver) to determine the center of this lever's travel. The upward ~two-fifths of the travel was against a spring, while the lower ~three-fifths was easy. So centered was just below where the upper spring resistance starts, at least for this one. Then reattached the cable end, shifted into third, and snapped closed the cable lock. Removed the drill bit and the shifter worked smoothly. Reinstalled the center console.

Q: The console's armrest's lid latch is floppy and doesn't engage well. I took the cover off and didn't find evidence of a missing/broken spring inside. Anyone fix this problem, and how?

Q: The secondary SPI intake throttle/port assembly is the "Intake Manifold Runner Control" (IMRC) in Ford-speak. The 2000 FSM is silent on its disassembly/cleaning. Any good threads on it here? No time to search at the moment; too much good work to do.

The new piston set might be here as soon as tomorrow, but I don't plan to be working on the FF then. Maybe Friday.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)