Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - You're doing it wrong! AKA Rice Reports(Post autofails here!)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #6613
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

Points 957, Level 16
Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16 Points: 957, Level: 16
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Busted C-clip style axle shaft. The axle shaft has a groove at the end - inside where the spider gears sit. If the cross pin in the middle is gone, you can push the axle shaft in further then normal, remove the c-clip and pull the axle out.

The axle is a semi-float design, meaning that the axle shaft bears vehicle weight (opposed to a full float where the axle shaft carries ZERO vehicle weight, think 1 tons and up and 4wd steering axles) when the axle breaks or the clip comes out (damage) the axle shaft can walk out with the tire and drum attached and you get the above :)

I see this quite often on the 4x4 trail - happened to my brother as well. It's so damn common there are kits offered for Jeeps that are basically a roller that goes against the tire and is strapped to the frame so the Jeep can move without the axle sliding out, causing more damage.
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150