MSD coil problem found and solved
I bought an MSD coil for my ZX3. I know it is not needed as per many posts. I did find out why after some period of time they really perform poorly. The aluminum standoffs that are included with the coil are a problem. If you think about it going from the steel coil core that needs to be grounded to the aluminum standoffs to the steel bracket to the aluminum head it is not a good setup.
Steel-aluminum-steel-aluminum is not a good ground path with galvanic action taking place here it is all bad. What I did was put some stainless standoffs in place of the aluminum ones that the coil comes with. Problem solved. Another good thing to use is the copper antiseize compound from Permatex. It provides good conductivity and protects against galvanic degradation of the parts. I decided that instead of bitching to MSD that their coil didn't work I'd try to see why it went from great to poor. Sure enough someone there wasn't thinking about the consequences of mixing aluminum and steel. Just thought I would point this out. I do have a note on my RMA about this. Maybe they will change the standoffs who knows.
Last edited by Paul P; 12-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.