Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booman35 View Post
Hi Booman35,

Though you've been a member since August, this seems to be your first post. So, to the forum!

Here are a few tips to help with fuel efficiency:

1. Slow down (up to 25%)
Reducing your speed from 65 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by 10% to 15% and reducing your speed from 70 to 55 mph can improve your fuel economy by a whopping 25%.
2. Use cruise control
This helps you save fuel in two ways. First, it controls your maximum speed, which can help you stay below 60 mph. Second, it maintains a constant speed, which means you wonít be pumping extra fuel into your engine to accelerate. You should aim to set your cruise control at your vehicleís most fuel-efficient speed, as long as itís at or below the legal limit.
3. Avoid excessive idling
An engine thatís not running uses no fuel, while idling gets zero mpg. If you know youíll stop for a while, (such as when picking up a friend who isnít ready yet or waiting for a passenger to run into the store), itís always better to turn off your engine.

Check out this link: How To Save Fuel Tips for more tips.

Noemi
Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the tips - unfortunately for my problem, these are all things that I already do. I rarely drive more than 10-15 km/h (6-10 MPH) over the limit, I almost always use cruise control on the highway, and I never, ever, idle my car.

One other thing I've noticed in my EcoMode display (and something that was mentioned to me by the service department at my dealer) is that we apparently drive the car very often (75-80% of the time) while the engine is cold. Does this mean that 75-80% of the time that we are driving that the engine is too cold? Or does it mean that 75-80% of the time that we begin driving while the engine is too cold? If so, how can we improve this without idling for a period of time before driving? We also park our car in our garage so it is always warmer than outside so it shouldn't be as big of an issue as it apparently is.

Thanks for your feedback.[/QUOTE]

Cold engine means less than full operating temperature probably 210 degrees f. You probably make a large number of short trips that do not allow the engine to get to full operating temperature.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe