Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Yet another SPI knocking -- Will Fix It!
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #54
LugNut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92146
What I Drive: 2001 White Sedan

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 LugNut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Exclamation Now for the wow ...

Forgot to mention that the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate all show normal wear, and that it's time to replace. The throwout bearing seems to be wiggling badly, so past-due for it. New LuK kit on order -- same brand as was in there, but also was stamped "Ford". Will do a light refinishing of the uncracked flywheel.

Well, with the block on the stand, it was time to rotate it to take the oil pan off. Didn't turn it very far until I heard clunks from inside. Multiple big clunks.

Now just hoping not to find chunks of the block/cylinders ...

Pan came off easily, and the first chunks of metal were visible. The windage tray was bent a bit too under #3. Taking it off revealed more chunks, and the sight of a destroyed piston.

Rotating the block back over yielded a whole bunch of chunks. Cleaned the cylinder ridges (not bad at all, just needed some solvent).

Back over, and removed #3. The piston/rod _dropped_ out of the cylinder -- I've never had that happen. And here's the rest of the wow, in pic form:

Oh well, you get to wait another week or so!

The other three pistons/rods came out normally, as did the crank. All the bearings, including #3's rod's, looked new. Journals too. But that #3 piston was destroyed all the way up to the oil control rings. Rod not obviously bent, but a remanufactured one and a new piston are on order.

Amazing that the cylinder is OK (triple-checked for obvious cracks, scratches, being out of round, etc.). Crankshaft looks fine too, but decided to get a remanufactured one just in case.

All the cylinders still show their final factory honings' crosshatching, and are barely glazed. So I decided to do the light honing/glaze breaking myself, and have the tool on order. Both good and bad how-to videos are on Youtube.com.

The oil dipstick tube is still in the block (not laid to the side ... nor is the hood), but I did a few test taps on its bottom and the tube will come out. Not sure if I will need to remove it fully -- I'll likely wash and paint the block while it is still on the engine stand.

Fixed Up a white 2001 P-code SE Sedan
including rebuilding the SPI (see my threads)