Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket Deck W/ Stock SVT Sub Wiring (Re-visited)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
kwg2371
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82857
What I Drive: 03 screming yellow SVT #1841

Points 3,648, Level 37
Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37 Points: 3,648, Level: 37
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 kwg2371 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I'm in the process of doing this conversion as well. I bought a Sony DSX-S100 and I intend to incorporate my factory sub. I opted not to spend another $100 to make my steering wheel controls work.....yet.

Anyhow, I follow these instructions 100% with the exception of my sub + and -

My deck has 3 pairs of RCA jacks (one white end, one red end) on the back. One labeled "Front audio out" , another labeled "BUS audio in" and another "Rear/Sub audio out".

My front and rear speakers will be wired through the pigtail harness that also has my antenna, powers and grounds...right?

If I use the signal and sheild wires of a spare RCA cable as my sub + and -, which RCA cable labled "Rear/Sub audio out" do I plug the spare RCA cable into? Red or white?

Shouldn't I simply splice the WH/BK and GY/BK to the Red AND White RCA outputs?

I just don't understand why there are two sub output RCA cables but I would use only one. Is the red sub cable for aftermarket sub #1 and the white for aftermarket sub #2?

Also, I have heard that it is necessary to wire a resistor in series with the amp wake-up power (RD/WH) because otherwise I will get a popping noise from the sub when I turn the radio on/off. Does the factory sub run on 6v instead of 12v? If I need a resistor, how big? I've heard anywhere from 200 ohms to 1.5K ohms......

Another thing making this more difficult is that I'm replacing an aftermarket deck. The crappy Dual unit currently in the car is junk and the meathead who installed it didn't use an adapter plug. Little of the factory harness connector is intact. I'll be hard-wiring pretty much everything....

I'm really comfortable with DC electrical circuits but I haven't done a lot of car audio work so this is a bit new to me. I'm not familiar with crossovers and bridges and other popular aftermarket audio devices...so I'd like to make this work with as little modification as possible

Thanks in advance for the help!
1. correct front and rear speakers will be wired in to the existing stock harness(unless you plan on throwing an after market amp to power the speakers)

2. you only need ONE RCA to be spliced in and you can plug it in to either white or red output, it doesn't matter which one its plugged into (just make sure you understand what is positive an negative on the RCA cable)

3. in some circumstances you wont need a resistor (the way I have mine wired as shown in this how to, I don't get any kind of popping noise, most decks now a days have built in sub crossovers to where you can adjust them and there frequencies) you'll just have to take a look at the manual.

the one on my deck is accessed threw the main controls where I would adjust highs, lows, bass and treble ETC. I have the option to adjust from 50 -/+ 6, 80 -/+6, 120 -/+6

my best advice is if you can find someone parting out a junk SVT if they would be willing to chop off the stock wiring plug harness's so you don't have to hard wire directly to the deck
hope this helps
HatchNation #36
FF 13 best audio
FF 13 3rd place best in class SVT
FFW 13 best focus
FFW 13-14 best in class SVT