Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Looking for Input..
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Looking for Input..

Ok, so long story shortened.. I've been in the Army reserves since Jan. '09. Never deployed. Now I just found out last week, that I've been on a permanent profile since Jan. of this year for my asthma. I was never informed (to my knowledge) and was just told about this. It has been affecting my 2 mile run.. pretty significantly. But whatever. I've been working through it.

Anyway.. they have me at a P3. And to my understanding are in the process of med boarding me. Now, as far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong) a P3 basically means I'm getting med boarded either way. My UA said I could possibly get it reduced to a P2 to keep me in.. but that since I'm an MP I would probably have to reclass and would stay on my permanent, non-deployable profile.. Now, I joined the Army to be an MP.. nothing else. Theoretically I could reclass to a cook, mechanic or admin and stay with my unit.. but none of those MOS's intrigue me in the slightest.

So here's the pickle I'm in..

I either reclass (if forced) and stay in at a P2.. but never deploy. Which to me is pointless to stay in then. I'm just taking up a slot for no reason. It's like going to practice but knowing you'll never get to play in the game.

Or.. I don't fight the med board, and I just get out and keep my benefits. Which sounds like a good idea.. except it bothers me to get med boarded over asthma when people who lose limbs and have other severe, REAL problems get med boarded. I just feel like a bitch if I go out that way.. but what are my options?

I never intended to make a career out of this. And didn't plan on re-enlisting. I'm an E-4 btw.

Suggestions? Thoughts?