Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket Deck W/ Stock SVT Sub Wiring (Re-visited)
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Grinder
Banned

Fan#: 85627
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 10 Grinder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm in the process of doing this conversion as well. I bought a Sony DSX-S100 and I intend to incorporate my factory sub. I opted not to spend another $100 to make my steering wheel controls work.....yet.

Anyhow, I follow these instructions 100% with the exception of my sub + and -

My deck has 3 pairs of RCA jacks (one white end, one red end) on the back. One labeled "Front audio out" , another labeled "BUS audio in" and another "Rear/Sub audio out".

My front and rear speakers will be wired through the pigtail harness that also has my antenna, powers and grounds...right?

If I use the signal and sheild wires of a spare RCA cable as my sub + and -, which RCA cable labled "Rear/Sub audio out" do I plug the spare RCA cable into? Red or white?

Shouldn't I simply splice the WH/BK and GY/BK to the Red AND White RCA outputs?

I just don't understand why there are two sub output RCA cables but I would use only one. Is the red sub cable for aftermarket sub #1 and the white for aftermarket sub #2?

Also, I have heard that it is necessary to wire a resistor in series with the amp wake-up power (RD/WH) because otherwise I will get a popping noise from the sub when I turn the radio on/off. Does the factory sub run on 6v instead of 12v? If I need a resistor, how big? I've heard anywhere from 200 ohms to 1.5K ohms......

Another thing making this more difficult is that I'm replacing an aftermarket deck. The crappy Dual unit currently in the car is junk and the meathead who installed it didn't use an adapter plug. Little of the factory harness connector is intact. I'll be hard-wiring pretty much everything....

I'm really comfortable with DC electrical circuits but I haven't done a lot of car audio work so this is a bit new to me. I'm not familiar with crossovers and bridges and other popular aftermarket audio devices...so I'd like to make this work with as little modification as possible

Thanks in advance for the help!