Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - anyone using premium gas ?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #16
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
I use to think that gas was just gas but not any more. Now that i know more about it and how it works it makes sense and now i get it.

I use to get quick trip gas because i thought since it gets more buisness it would have the fresh fuel but after a few data logs ive decided im not going buy from them any more. I tried a tone of different fuels and finally found a fuel my car likes and ive been running it for a few months now.

This is what bad gas looks

And this is what the gas im using now looks like

With bad gas you rknock sensor detects knock and retards your timming. Good gas you can really wind the timming up with no knock and it improves performance.

IMO its worth the extra money. You can do your own testing but ill bet you will come to the same conclusion. You may not really feel it but you can see with the datalogging what it is actually doing.
Not to rag on you but your datalog is inaccurate to say the least.

Gotta do a log from start up to 55mph cruise and take a time stamp from both at the same time stamp.

One log has idle load and another log has driving load. Knock is almost always retarded slightly under normal driving load.

Even though the logs are cool that you posted it would make a difference to have a 55mph time stamp on both logs to see the difference. That way same Load same intake air temps same everything except for the gas.

But I will say this. Good quality 87 will beat a poor quality 91-93 all day.

Now a good 91-93 will also be better then a good quality 87. Is it worth .20 cents more for the small bit of performance your factory tuned car will get..

Simple answer... No

But this is coming from someone that needs premium in 2 of my 3 cars lol.