Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Daytime running lights (DRL)
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #38
fortresspainting
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91881
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL

Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fortresspainting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The final answer on this (from Ford) is that the module for DRLs was not put into my car. Apparently, it is put into other cars (such as the Focus SE - mine is the Focus SEL). I was told the module may become available in 9 months or so.

I was able to purchase an aftermarket device. This particular module had instructions to connect into the low-beam lamp wire, high-beam lamp wire, and parking light lamp wire on one side of the car. I took the lamp assembly off and could see that this was not going to be so simple as the unit was designed for lamps that are combination high/low beam units.

I decided I did not want to touch the high-beam lamp on this car at all: so, I wired the low beam into the low beam on the left side, the parking lamp wire I extended to the low beam on the right, tested it, and it works. In terms of power, I ran a power and ground wire as described and used a piggy-back fuse link wire off the fuel-relay fuse for the accessory power feed. This meant there was no splicing required.

Now, this was enough to get me past the government inspection and I received the RIV sticker which says my car is up to Canadian standards (i.e. DRLs required by law).

This is a brief description of the fix - if anyone wants more detail, I'd be happy to provide that.