Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Ford WRC Team
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Demon09
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72257
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX4 SES w/ SAP

FF Reputation: 1 Demon09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Ford WRC Team

Hey Rally Fans,

Some of you may know that one of Ford's primary WRC drivers, Mikko Hirvonen, just left for rival Citroen for 2012. This is due to the fact that Ford has been dragging their feet on renewing their Manufacturer bid for 2012 (they still have a little under 2 weeks to do so).

The team still has Jari Matti Latvala under contract (he is arguably one of the fastest young drivers in the WRC now) and there are rumors that Ott Tanak might be picked to fill the 2rd seat with the team. Oddly, there has been almost no mention of the contract or returning status for Ford's third driver, Khalid Al Quassimi, though I would guess he would be back as well (unless his contract is based on Abu Dhabi sponsorship, which this lost sponsorship may be the reason for Ford pulling out).

Ford has been an icon in rallying for over 35 years, and it would be a shame for them to pull out now when there are more manufacturers in the WRC than there have been in many years, and the cars seem more competitive than ever.

I for one only started following the WRC because of Ford. My focus is an 07 with the SAP package, and when I bought the car I was curious as to why they would put a rally spoiler on a Focus--I quickly found out it was an homage to Ford winning the manufacturer's title in 2006 and 2007 with the Focus RS. After that, I was hooked and have been following all of the events.

So, why am I posting this? Well, as expected, someone has started a Facebook group to support Ford returning to the WRC. Sure, it could be a long shot, but its worth a shot anyway. A Facebook group did help convince Ford WRT to race the Fiesta in an awesome black livery for Rally France this year, so who knows, maybe they do pay attention to that.

The group can be found at http://www.facebook.com/groups/159136900850976/

In case the link doesn't work, the group is titled We want Ford's continuation in the WRC (as a manufacturer)

The more the merrier--maybe they'll pay attention. If not, at least there are some cool pictures of the Focus and Fiesta RS WRC on the page.

Cheers, and here's to hoping Ford commits to 2012 (or more) soon!