Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Wheel/Tire Guide
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
28HopUp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85449
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 3 28HopUp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog913 View Post
.6mm (.023") of play isn't going to make a difference. 28HopUp was successful with Volvo Wheels without spacers. But for the "professional" wheel and tire people will say you will need spacers.
I guess I should chime in!

I have had zero problems with the Volvo XC90 wheels 16x7". Here is the thread I made about them:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259031

The Volvo hub bore IS slightly larger, but the 5x108 lug pattern allows the wheels to be centered once the lug nuts are properly secured. I have had no issues with vibration. But here's the caveot - this car is a commuter vehicle only and isn't driven agressively at all. So I am not putting undo strain on the wheel lugs (IMO) through normal driving. If I was autocrossing the car, then I would use wheels with the correct bore size so the wheel hub bares the corrnering load force.

In terms of determining wheel options, offset is very important, along with bore size (you cannot use a non-factory wheel with a bore size smaller than that on a Focus). But another consideration is maintaining sufficient clearance around your brake calipers. Stock OEM brakes are not massive, but you need to ensure that the spokes of the new wheel will clear the calipers (in most cases you'll be fine I think, but it's still something to consider).