apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTFocusOnMe View Post
Yea I think the car should want to rev easier. It feels like it takes forever to actually take off in first gear because of the slow response.
Actually i think if you are talking about it taking forever to rev in 1st gear and pull away you are more concerned with Flywheel.

The throttle response is "slow", but I think what you are feeling is the engine trying to spin up. Do you have a stock flywheel?

Stock flywheel is 24.5 lbs, I have a spec 12 lb Al flywheel and my SVTF revs like crazy. I love it.

And Yes I can feel the sluggish throttle response when I first start, but "slow" response to the throttle input is still on the order of vastly less than 1 second. I suspect your sense of "takes forever" is most likely due to the engine spinning up a 24.5 lb flywheel. If your sense is that it's on the order of seconds, you are no longer talking about throttle response.

Personally I looked at the CFM throttle body a lot and came to the conclusion that with a light weight flywheel I could just deal with the less then 1/4 second throttle response delay since my engine revs so much faster now. $250 is a LOT of money for only 1 or 2 mm. No way I am spending that much money to gain 1 mm in diameter with the BBK. Let alone 2 mm for the CFM. (for a street car, if you are competitively racing the SVT where every ounce of performance counts, I can understand forking over for a slightly larger TB)

If you don't have a light weight flywheel I suggest looking into them seriously when you come due for a new clutch. They are very common to come with a clutch kit since it's easily done as 1 job. I am not sure I would spend the money to put in a lightweight flywheel if I didn't need a clutch though.

As a random plug, I love my Spec Stage 2 clutch & Al flywheel, I am on my second one (1st kit was to replace stock at 45k miles when the stock one crapped out, that lasted till 120+k miles even with LOTs of downtown DC driving in traffic, and I replaced it early during some other work)