Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #923
sassynapoleon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87584
What I Drive: 2008 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 1 sassynapoleon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
The GTI is a competitor price wise, not performance-wise. The GTI-R is a rip at $36K, that's STi/Evo territory and likely slower than those cars again. Figuring Germany engineering wins. Not in the stop-light grand prix it don't...
The GTI does 0-60 in 6.8s. Hard to see how this doesn't make it a performance competitor to the ST. The 200 BHP rating on GTIs tends to be conservative. The Golf R is definitely slower than the STi and Evo, just like the Focus ST is slower than the MS3. Ford fans will say that the ST is a more grown up car with a better interior and nicer features (and they'd be right). Golf R fans make the same comparisons against the STi.

Quote:
I think the car will start around $25K, maybe less. Mazdaspeed3 starts at $23K. If you add in Recaros (which are likely aren't standard), MFT and Sunroof, it will hit 27K I'm sure.
I think that's wishful thinking. If you spec out a regular Focus as close as you can get to what the ST will be it comes out to around $25k. I suspect we'll see the base ST come in around $27k and the loaded ST in the low 30s.