Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #906
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,527, Level 42
Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42 Points: 4,527, Level: 42
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusSTHopeful View Post
to be fair, the GTI has a better interior (high quality AND simple. not the technical mash-up the Focus ST's looks like). Suspension between the two cars will be close....despite not being a rocket, the GTI has a direct, progressive suspension.
The focus will be faster, no doubt, the GTI has decent speed, but the ST is up 70 horses.
Finally, the ST will start around 27, it looks like, and good luck getting a deal. the GTI can be had for 23 flat if you go with a non-leather/non-sat nav version.

Sooooooooo, its a toss up. add another $600 and you can re-flash the GTI's ecu for +50bhp, and +70 ft-lbs torque, no other hardware needed. (voids the warrenty, but you can set the flash back to stock, so the dealer won't know)
So, you could get the GTI to have the same power as the ST, it has a 2 door option, it has a similar handling system that applies power to the outside wheel, and the only real issue I can find with it is it looks bland and has goofy looking wheels?
I've got to question why more people aren't looking at the GTI as a possibility...
Truth be told, if the ST lives up to the hype, it could be a better car. But it's at least a year away from launch. :/