FocusSTHopeful
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85667
What I Drive: 2008 silver g35x

FF Reputation: 1 FocusSTHopeful Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
You're right, and that's the only reason I'm still waiting for it.
Mazda Speed 3? Issues with gas milage and torque steer.
WRX? Faster in a straight line, but bad on fuel, and understeer amuck
Veloster? Not turbo'd yet.
The GTI isn't too bad, but I don't like the looks as much.
And then there's the less direct competitors (for me), like the Hyndai Genesis Coupe, or (maybe) the Subaru BRZ.

Truth is, I'd love to have the patience to wait for the ST, I like it a lot, more than the competition. But they just keep pushing the release date back. Now it will come out a year from now, and you'll have to throw on winter tires immediately. Ford should have put more effort into releasing the ST in April of 2012, if not this fall.
to be fair, the GTI has a better interior (high quality AND simple. not the technical mash-up the Focus ST's looks like). Suspension between the two cars will be close....despite not being a rocket, the GTI has a direct, progressive suspension.
The focus will be faster, no doubt, the GTI has decent speed, but the ST is up 70 horses.
Finally, the ST will start around 27, it looks like, and good luck getting a deal. the GTI can be had for 23 flat if you go with a non-leather/non-sat nav version.

Sooooooooo, its a toss up. add another $600 and you can re-flash the GTI's ecu for +50bhp, and +70 ft-lbs torque, no other hardware needed. (voids the warrenty, but you can set the flash back to stock, so the dealer won't know)