Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Focus Roushcharger!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
nateyo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88182
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 nateyo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
You're joking, right? Mazdaspeed3 on stock turbo @ 23psi running e85 makes 415 ft-lbs at the wheels (not my car, but a guy I know). That will shit on any supercharger power curve for a 4 cyl, but whatever.

My 50 trim is pretty responsive and makes plenty of torque from 3k up.
lol cool story?

That's exactly what I'm saying, from 3k up. That's where the focus power band already is, where the focus needs help is the lower power band which will be most helped by a supercharger, not a turbo. It's a common fact. I'm not stating that either one is better, but in my opinion the 2012 focus will be more rounded out with a supercharger because the power band will be more willing to give you power all throughout your rpms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
You said a supercharged car "at lower rpms it makes more torque than a comparable turbocharged car." He just posted a dyno showing the opposite. That's what I've been trying to say the whole time.
You have to get into a deeper point about this. Centrifugal superchargers won't make very good power until 3k. Twin screw superchargers will. There are also many other reasons why superchargers like a twin screw are advantageous. Like how they have very little moving parts compared to a turbo, the screws don't actually touch so there is not much wear, very little heat which means no need for an intercooler. The disadvantage is they are still running during cruising, decelerating etc, but they've gotten pretty good at still getting good gas mileage.