Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Depends on WHERE you drive. IF your driving is entirely on freeways and city streets, then no, you do not need Winter tires.
IF you have a unpaved drivway, or a two lane road which is in the country you travel on regularly.. then yes get snow tires.

I live in the big city. I NEVER buy snow tires. They are a total waste of time and money for me. I am 62 years old and have driven in snow every Winter since i was 15 years old.
Snow tires are for SNOW, not for plowed streets.
Around me, snow tires might be needed a few times all Winter, and THAT only if you have roads that do not get plowed often.

I would never pay for snow tires in S.E. Wisconsin.
Up North it may certainly be a different matter.

Funny how a LOT of folks who post here are big on snow tires.. I guess they can rant and rave all they want about the benefits..
I would not bother to use them if I got them FREE!!!!!!!!!

(As i have mentioned previously.. my last car i had 12 Winters, and all 12 Winters I left the 'Summer Only' ultrahigh performance tires on all year round. I NEVER had a single problem with using them in Winter. And yeah they had poor traction when the snow is just right, no problem in my mind. They still stop just as good.)

And a good task to perform every time first snow: Go find a BIG empty parking lot, go crazy driving around in circles, skid, brake hard, spin out, Have a BALL. This gets you back to remembering what it is like in snow fast.
And then adding in remembering not to drive too close and you are set.
Winter tires are for more then just snow, they are also for ice and generally cold weather. They perform better then all-seasons in temps less then 45 degrees in all areas. Why wouldn't you want that? Tires are the most important safety feature of the car considering they are the other thing that touches the road. Your other safety systems can only be as good as the tires you put on the car.

And not to sound like a dick, but I have a really hard time believing you went through 12 winters running ultra high performance summer only tires. I had Dunlop Direzza DZ101's (rated ultra high performance) on my last car and got caught short with a light dusting of snow and temps hovering around 27 degrees. My car would barely get moving and went into ABS mode every time I had to stop. Summer tires were never designed or expected to be used in cold or snowy climates, it's foolish to even attempt to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbox77 View Post
Also if you don't want to spend $600 for cheap wheels and good snow tires, find a used set just make sure they're not very old. I've seen sets for $300.

sent from my EVO 3D
You can also find an old Volvo at a junkyard and see if the rims are the right bolt pattern, that'll save some money too.