e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksb View Post
To preface my question, I have lived here in Wisconsin for the past fifteen winters, prior to which I have never driven in snow and have never put snow tires on any previous car.

I have just purchased my 2012 Focus and was pondering the benefit of getting snow tires. The questions are: For day to day commuting (45miles), do I need them and if I did would I see a benefit and, please dont laugh, do I need all four tires or just on the front. Thanks in advance for any input.
To answer your questions as to whether or not do you need them, I guess this is like insurance, do you need it, personally I always like to have fate on my side, by law you are probably not legally required to have them but as per my post above you should have them.

As for benefits, I am using the Michelin X-ixe/Xice2 and they are LRR/Green and Xl which is giving me a smoother ride and about a 2 mpg improvement in gas.

As for do you need 4 the answer unfortunately is yes, you need 2 for the traction wheels and I do not believe that any installer will install 2 only on a front wheel drive car.

The scientific reason you need 4 is because when you go into a heavy braking or emergency braking cycle 80-90% of the stopping power comes from the front tires thus the rear go into a light weight mode where there is a uneven traction caused and this will then cause your vehicle to counter rotate and the vehicle will spin upwards to 180 degrees.